Saturday 5 October 2024

Our Leafcutter Bee Larvae

The summer is now behind us

so its time to empty our solitary bee box

and save the larvae in a safe place.

I attached our RSPB Bee box to a sunny east/south-east position at the front of our house back in February. We didn't seem to attract any mason bees, but at the beginning of August we noticed a couple of chambers had been filled by what we assumed were leafcutter bees.

Rather than just leave them in the bee box over winter, I decided to take them out and store them [hopefully] away from any predators.

Having never done this before, I was initially very concerned that I would damage the larvae inside. But the idea is to dip them in water to soften them up...

 ...and then separate each 'cell'.

We had 2 complete rows, each with 12 larvae cells, and 2 partial rows. We ended up with 33 larvae cells, which is not a bad start for our first year.

These are now in an old ice cream tub. I just need to remember to check them from time-to-time early next year, with a view to putting the box outside by late February.

Maybe I need to setup a camera to monitor their progress?

No comments:

Post a Comment