Thursday 25 July 2024

My Smart TV has a problem with JPEGs

It will load & display some, but not all images.

Which is not great when we are trying to show-off our holiday snaps!

When I first connected a memory card loaded with photos to our relatively new LG Smart TV, I ran into this problem.

All of our holiday photos have a .jpg extension, and all have been edited on GIMP and given a friendly file name (e.g. Me-on-the-beach_Bognor.jpg).

It seemed very odd that most would load and display, but a few just displayed a stock icon with a diagonal line across it.

I initially tried reducing the image/file size, then giving them simplified file names. But still no joy.

Eventually I looked at the export jpeg details on GIMP and found that I could create a successful file by turning off the advanced option: Progressive

 


 

Up until this point, I didn't realise that the tv was supposed to display thumbnails in place of the stock icons.

So by creating a non-progressive jpeg, the tv works the way it should. However, it still seems to cope with some progressive jpegs!

progressive & non-progressive

On a web-page, Standard jpeg images (also known as non-progressive) load from the top down. So may appear to load slowly under some conditions.

Progressive images load initially as a low quality/resolution image, then gradually build to full quality.

I still don't know why this is a problem for a smart tv, but have also tested on my old Sony smart tv and I get a similar issue.

GIMP jpeg export

When exporting images from GIMP there is a Progressive tick box under Advanced Options...


...which you just need to un-tick, and save as your default setting if required.




No comments:

Post a Comment